Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On 02/16/2012 08:29 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
So, that's an interesting point that I hadn't thought about.  Locally
Integrated Menus (LIM) might solve your problems.  Basically what they
are is taking a window's menus and putting them on the title bar of the
window in a drop down menu.  Here's a writeup:

   http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/ubuntu-12-04-to-ditch-global-menu/

That feature hasn't landed, but the specifics of the GSettings key is in
this branch:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ted/indicator-appmenu/local-menus-single-menu/view/head:/data/com.canonical.indicator.appmenu.gschema.xml.in

So what you could do is turn on the LIM feature when VMWare Unity is
launched, and then turn it back to the user's setting when using the
normal desktop.  I believe that (and I haven't used VMWare Unity so I
could very well be wrong here) you keep the window title bar, so the
user could get to the menus there.

Do you think that'd work?

Excellent.  This looks super promising.

Yeah, unless we decide to go totally crazy/awesome and bring in compositing, we're passing in the guest VM's windows' decorations to the host. LIM would let us keep at least some of Ubuntu's Unity look'n'feel while in VMware's Unity.

Three questions:
• When one toggles the GSettings key, will already running applications pick up the change and adjust accordingly, or is this evaluated only at app launch?

• What happens when windows are maximized? With LIM enabled, do maximized windows retain their titlebar (and integrated menus), or would the titlebar vanish (as is the case today)?

    • Will LIM be equally available in the Unity 2D environment?

Thanks!

  - Ryan