Re: Be careful when refactoring

On Mon, 2013-01-07 at 07:35 +0100, Didier Roche wrote:

> Also, that we have to do that because there is a bad history of
> committing to ABI and API stability, remember that normally, in every
> normal upstream project, such a breakage ask to change the soname, and
> in this case, we will know beforehand on which version of the -dev
> package to build-dep. We are just workarounding here bad upstream
> practice.

The problem is that we're not talking about released versions, which
certainly should manage their API/ABI with proper SO numbers etc, we're
talking about development trunk.  We've removed the ability to have a
playground before committing to an API that developers are committing
to.  We can't expect merging to trunk to be a long term commitment to
API or ABI stability.  Doing a release is saying "this is baked" and
we'll commit to it, proposing a merge is not.

Ted