State of the Unity Desktop 2014-06-25

Time once again to fill everyone in on what's brewing in the world of the Unity Desktop.

Unity 7 Desktop
---------------

We managed to release a Compiz SRU for 14.04, currently being tested in the -proposed pocket.  This point release
contains, among other things, fixes for the annoying problems of windows sometimes opening under the Unity Panel and of
custom keyboard shortcuts sometimes getting lost.

We're preparing another Unity 7.2 point release to SRU into Ubuntu 14.04 with the latest slew of bug fixes that have
landed in Utopic over the last few weeks.  To be included are more edge cases fixes in the new lock screen, some
additional fixes for icon scaling, and a few other problems resolved.  In the pipeline for landing in Utopic are the
missing scaling changes to the Unity Dash and Previews that will complete the support for higher-DPI displays in the
Unity 7 desktop shell.

Unity 8 Desktop

As of the latest Unity 8 release (Tuesday 23 June 2014) the session indicator has its own icon, and the log out function
works.  yes, folks, you can now log out of Unity 8 on the desktop.  There's also a rumour flying around that the crasher
in the Web Browser app has a known fix, we're just waiting for it to trickle through the process.

Daily ISOs continue to be available [1] for testing.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity8DesktopIso

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>