State of the Unity Desktop 2014-07-09

Well folks it's the sultry heat of midsummer here in the North and bug season is in full swing.  Speaking of bugs,
here's the lowdown on developments in the Uniy desktop this week.

Unity 7 Desktop
---------------

Our latest 14.04 Compiz SRU has been held up by a number of issues, most of which are now resolved and it should land in
the updates pocket soon.  We have another set of fixes lines up to SRU into 14.04 as sonn as it lands.  We want to get
some important fixes in in time for the 14.04.1 release and wider LTS adoption.

Meanwhile we're still landing more fixes into Ubuntu "Utopic Unicorn" for extended validation before they, too will be
proposed for SRU into 14.04.  We're currently concentrating on edge-case problems in the new lockscreen and additional
visual scaling fixes in the Unity 7 shell.

Unity 8 Desktop
---------------

The Unity 8 desktop tends to be a little unstable because of all the upstream changes going in for the phone.  As of
writing this report it seems to be running well, but I see more changes coming down the pipe so I do not guarantee
tomorrow or the next day.

The big news is that with the release of Oxide 1.1.0~bzr640-0ubuntu1 into Ubuntu "Utopic Unicorn" the browser app now
works just peachy on the Unity 8 desktop.  This was a critical show stopper and I'm very happy indeed that it's been
fixed.  Now if only someone would port Vim to be a native Unity 8 app I could switch full time....

In our sights for the near term is to bring up a framework to get the Unity 8 desktop under automated smoketesting so we
can get it to be as stable as the phone and Unity 7 desktop.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>