Re: Trouble with vm-8.1.0-gnu23

jlr_0@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> (vm-with-string-as-temp-buffer "Processus de Bologne : « L'objectif
>  désormais est d'entériner le principe d'un enseignement centré sur
>  l'étudiant » (Jean-Marc Rapp, EUA)" 'vm-mime-encode-words)
>
> Here is what I get:
>
> "Processus de Bologne : « L'objectif
>  désormais est d'entériner le principe
>  d'un enseignement centré sur
>  l'étudiant » (Jean-Marc Rapp, EUA)"

Good.  That means VM is working fine, but some settings you have are
spoiling it.

> Since I've run the test with "emacs -q" this means the settings that pose
> these problems should stem from the site-wide startup file and not from my
> own .emacs init file I guess.

No, it is the other way round.  "-q" blocks your .emacs file from
getting loaded.  So, the problem is likely to be with your .emacs
file.

> > Evaluate the calls
> >   (vm-get-coding-system-priorities)
> >   (vm-get-mime-ucs-list)
> > in the *scratch* buffer and let us know what values you get.
>
> Here is what I get:

These results are perfect.

> On the other hand, when evaluating:
>
> (vm-with-string-as-temp-buffer "Processus de Bologne : « L'objectif
> désormais est d'entériner le principe d'un enseignement centré sur
> l'étudiant » (Jean-Marc Rapp, EUA)" 'vm-mime-encode-words)
>
> here is the message I get:
>
> Debugger entered--entering a function:
> * vm-determine-proper-charset(24 #<marker at 25 in *vm-workbuf*>)

That is just the entry point for vm-determine-proper-charset.  If you
hit 'c', it will show you the result.  You can keep hitting 'c' to see
all the calls that get made and the results returned.  One of these
calls is probably going to return nil.

*** Note that you need to do this with .emacs and .vm loaded, because
    that is where the problems are.

Once we know it returns nil, we will need to find out why it is doing
so.

Cheers,
Uday