Thunderbird compatibility [Was: compilation warnings]

Tim Cross writes:

> > For the recent Thunderbird compatibility code, I wasn't able to do
> > this because I didn't have enough Thunderbird email to test it with.
> > As you saw, problems remained when it got published.
> >

> Yes, this is an issue. What is the criteria we use to assess adding
> features
> like this? I've always thought it a potential source of maintenance
> overhead
> to add compatibility with other mailbox formats. Is there a plan or
> blueprint
> for what mailbox formats we would like VM to support?

Thunderbird uses the same mailbox format as us.  But, both VM and
Thunderbird have to extra headers to store data about messages.  The
point here is for VM to read the Thunderbird headers so that the users
can operate on the Thunderbird folders using VM.

This functionality was already added by Rob F and my impression was
that he used to use it regularly.  But there was a bug report when it
caused an integer overflow in Emacs Lisp.  When I looked at the code,
it seemed to be quite wrong in many ways.  So, I ended up rewriting
it.

Even if Rob F didn't do this, it would have been a good feature to add
to VM.  Such interoperability is a good way to get people to try out
VM without having to switch 100%.

Cheers,
Uday