Re: VM and ELPA

vm-bounces+u.s.reddy=cs.bham.ac.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I've added a new blueprint for discussion.

Unfortunately, a "blueprint" in Launchpad terminology is an external
wiki page.  They probably have plans to add a wiki to Launchpad, but
they don't have it yet.

Among ourselves, I think email is fine I think.

> I think we should look into what would be required to add VM to the
> Emacs Lisp Package Archive. This facility is being added to emacs 24
> and it strikes me that it might be a good way to get VM out there in
> a distro agnostic manner where we have some control over how it is
> done.

"Distro agnostic" is not a concern for me, but distro speed is.  The
more reliable the distro is, the slower it is to accept changes.
CentOS, which is what our department uses, doesn't have VM at all.

ELPA is probably a good avenue for end-users to do their own
installation, without worrying about distros.

> I've not contacted the ELPA maintainers as I wanted to see what the
> rest of the team thought first. However, I would be happy to contact
> them to find out what would be required for us to get the next
> release of VM incorprated into ELPA.

I am in favour of it.  But, do you think, ELPA can accommodate VM's
build script?  What changes might be needed?

(License is a non-issue and coding style is not a big concern.)

Cheers,
Uday