Re: [Question #165331]: BBDB and aliases/abbrevs

Hi John,

not sure if this will  help, but I use VM trunk with bbdb and the only
BBDB related configuration I've had in my config for a long time now
is

(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'vm 'message 'sendmail)

(setq bbdb-check-zip-codes-p nil
          bbdb-default-country "Australia"
          bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil
          bbdb/mail-autocreate-p nil)

To get address completion in VM I just hit tab when filling in
to/cc/bcc headers.
I do ensure the path to bbdb is provided when building VM

I use to use abbrevs with mail as well, but stopped doing that a few
years back (for no special reason, just didn't find I needed it as
well as bbdb).

My suggestion would be to remove all your bbdb related settings apart
from the require and initialize lines and then see what you need to
add/configure.

I'm using bbdb from a github repository - don't know if its the latest
or greatest, but it works for me. The ursl is

git://github.com/barak/BBDB.git

I'm also running under emacs 24 (from bzr repo). While I normally find
emacs 24 quite stable, over recent weeks, I have run into numerous
issues and would not recommend it over emacs 23 unless there are
features in 24 you need.

Tim