Re: [Merge] lp:~willyscheibel/widelands/use-glbinding into lp:widelands

Thanks for having a look at my proposal.

First of all, I'm one of the core developers of glbinding and my main goal with integrating glbinding into foreign projects is to evaluate the process of doing so.
I've done this before on SuperTux (https://github.com/SuperTuxTeam/supertux/pull/4) and it was quite easy.
A few days ago I found out you mentioned glbinding in your source code and I took a look on the project setup and found a really nice CMake setup with GLEW as OpenGL binding. Both build an ideal situation for me to integrate glbinding and I just made the try.

As you can see, the difference in code is really small, which was one of the design goals.
For now, my evaluation is finished but then again, I don't want to modify/create code using open source software and throw it away afterwards.
Additionally, I really like to see more projects switching to glbinding or at least providing it as alternative to their current OpenGL binding(s).

While adjusting the CMakeLists and the code, I realized you follow the strict policy of providing no options to configure the build, which is understandable and I don't expect you to move to glbinding soon. I just want you to be able to evaluate glbinding as alternative to GLEW.

So either you ignore this proposal or leave it open and evaluate glbinding inside your project and on different platforms (we would appreciate bug reports or insights on what platforms glbinding works).

Last, I want to hint the development-supporting features of glbinding (type-safety, logging, feature/version-aware development), which are improving over time as we are highly interested in a simple and clean process to develop applications using OpenGL.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~willyscheibel/widelands/use-glbinding/+merge/243642
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~willyscheibel/widelands/use-glbinding into lp:widelands.