wikkid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: DRAFT: 0.1 release announcement

On Mon, 24 May 2010 23:16:31 +1200
Tim Penhey <tim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Updated:
>
> ---
> Wikkid Wiki
>
> As with any creation being released, I'm writing this with some
> trepidation. I'd like to announce the first release, 0.1, of Wikkid
> Wiki.
>
> What is it?
>
> Wikkid is a wiki that uses the Bazaar DVCS as an underlying storage
> model. Wiki pages are text files in a branch.
>
> Why another wiki, surely there are enough already?
>
> There is the obvious reason, because I felt like it.  But this is not
> the primary reason.  Since I started working for Canonical I've come
> to appreciate the whole culture of free, libre, and open source
> software more.  During the day I work on Launchpad.  Primarily in the
> area of integrating the Bazaar DVCS.  Launchpad doesn't have a wiki
> integrated, and it is my plan to see wikkid be the wiki that is
> integrated.
>
> I have to admit to having very strong opinions myself on what I
> wanted for wikis in Launchpad.  Since no one else was looking at it,
> I took it upon myself.  Discussions started last year between a small
> group of Launchpad developers, but there was no traction.  At the
> start of March I started writing the Bazaar backed wiki.  It needed a
> name though.  Thankfully after trying several I got the perfect name
> from Aaron Bentley - wikkid.
>
> The wikkid vision
>
> * Any wikkid wiki can be branched locally for off line editing.
> * Any branch can be viewed using wikkid - not limited to branches
> created through wikkid
> * A local wikkid server can be run using a bzr plugin
> * Local commits use the local users Bazaar identity
> * Wikkid can be configured to operate in a stand alone, public facing
> mode where it has a database of users
> * Wikkid can be integrated as a library into other python apps
> * Wikkid uses standard wiki markup languages - not inventing its own
>
> What does Wikkid Wiki offer?
>
> Right now, wikkid offers basic page editing, rendering and browsing.
> * ReST is the default wiki format
> * creole is also supported (as long as the first line is "# creole")
> * source files are syntax highlighted using pygments
> * you get to see your gravatar for your local Bazaar identity
> * no page locks are used, but instead a three way merge
> * conflicts due to concurrent editing are shown for the user to
> resovle
>
> Where to from here?
>
> Well here is just the beginning.  The TODO file is quite long
> already, and that is just a simple brain dump.
>
> Things that I want to have done for 0.2 include:
> * Change the underlying server from twisted.web to WSGI
> * Change the generated URL format
> * Add the stand-alone user database code, along with sessions and
> logins and email validation
> * Add a view to show changes for a page
> * Allow the reverting of any historical change
> [...]

I think that this looks good.  I think the "How can I help?" section is
the most important part of this announcement.  The bzr community is
awesome for diving in and making contributions.

--
Paul Hummer
http://www.paulhummer.org

"Sometimes I suspect that we build our traps ourselves, then we back
into them, pretending amazement the while." -Neil Gaiman