wikkid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Helping with Wikkid

On Thu, 27 May 2010 23:09:51 Grant D. Vallance wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am old acquaintance of Tim's from his University days and have become
> aware of Wikkid via Facebook.

Hi Grant,

I thought someone else might get around to replying to this, but I recently
recalled that no-one did :-|

> I want to help, even though I am not a developer. I am a
> philosopher/ethicist with an interest in IT, and Wikkid interests me as
> does contributing to an Open Source/Free software project.
>
> I can help with documentation and user/use testing -- from the perspective
> of someone who is IT literate but not a developer.
>
> Of course, to do this I need to get Wikkid working, but the install
> instructions are not clear to a user such as myself.
>
> I have an Ubuntu 10.4 virtual machine I can play with.
>
> I can make sure the dependencies are met -- I can drive command line
> package managers as well as graphics ones. (The command line does not
> scare me.)
>
> So to install Wikkid do I?
>
> 1. Make sure all the dependencies are met

The install file lists the packages that need to be installed.

I plan to get a daily build of wikkid into a PPA real soon now.

> 2. Download and extract the files to an appropriate directory (Is there a
> recommended directory to unpack the files to such as /opt?)

Grab the trunk branch:

$ bzr branch lp:wikkid

You need to have a branch to use as a wiki.  We don't yet create one for you.

$ bzr branch lp:~thumper/wikkid/sandbox

$ cd wikkid
$ ./bin/wikkid-serve ../sandbox

> 3. Type
> setup.py in the directory in which the files are extracted within a shell

Hmm... I'm not entirely suer what running setup.py will do.

Tim