x301 team mailing list archive

Low precision and jerky cursor movement with touchpad

Hello again,

this seems to be my last problem: The somehow low responsiveness of the
touchpad when doing small cursor movements. It’s really hard to displace
the cursor for just a couple of pixels. Usually it will begin with a
jump that goes too far. It is so jumpy that it’s a pain to resize a
window or to hit other small targets.

Investigating this I used synclient and fiddled with all kinds of
options to no avail. Finally I started to enter some of these options
into the HAL fdi file at:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/11-x11-synaptics.fdi

But this didn't affect the jerkiness either. Only after I made a syntax
error[1] in this file I got a perfectly smooth cursor movement. Of
course none of the touchpads features like side scrolling worked anymore
but the most important thing was that I realized it’s not due to the
hardware, but a driver issue.

Did anyone else see this? Any solutions to getting scrolling and a
smooth precise cursor at the same time?

--Tobias

[1]
hald[11185]: error in fdi file /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/
11-x11-synaptics.fdi:6: mismatched tag