Re: -lglut

> The problem by doing that is that yade-core will require an extra lib to
> compile which is absolutely not related to framework code but only to
> display which is bad if you want to just run yade with nullgui for
> exmaple (and we made a lot of effort to totally split computation from
> gui stuff). On top of that it is strange that you have this problem
> because it was working on both my laptop and computer at my lab with gcc
> 3.3 or 3.4. Maybe the problem comes from qglviewer. I remember, some
> time ago, everybody had a problem with it. It was doing totally wrong
> display; it was very similar to the screen shot you send. The problem
> was that on some machine it was not possible to compile qglviewer with
> optimisation flag for an unknown reason. The compiler was doing wrong
> optimization and the resulting lib was wrong. Maybe you should try that.

So I have checked this. QGLViewer is compiled with all debug
information, and libQGLViewer.2.0.0.so is 9 MB big. Whole yade is
compiled with '-g' option, and all .so take around 200 MB space. And now
it is not working - nothing is shown (different than previous one -
where infinitely big plane is displayed).

 yade-core must be linked with -lglut. That is really stupid! I spend 3
days on that, few months ago. And I exactly remember tracking this
problem to the linker.

To see this error, make sure that you are compiling with gcc 3.3. You
will easily recognize when you compile with gcc3.3, because compilation
will fail without '-pthread -lpthread' flags.

I submit a bug report, because we must remove this -lglut in the future.
I think we should wait when debian etch is released.

We can write somewhere that people must modify yade.pro and add/remove
this -lglut line ... - when they want to compile only for NullGUI, or
for QtGUI ...

PS: it's good that we use different distributions and compilers :)
Otherwise we wouldn't find such problems ;)