Re: [Yade-commits] r1359 - in trunk: core gui/py lib/import pkg/common/DataClass/PhysicalParameters pkg/common/Engine/DeusExMachina pkg/common/Engine/StandAloneEngine pkg/dem/Engine/EngineUnit pkg/dem/Engine/StandAloneEngine pkg/dem/RenderingEngine/GLDrawElasticContactInteraction

> 1. There is SpheresContactGeometry. Is it supposed to be used _only
> for contact_ interactions?
>
> 2. There is DistantSpheresContactGeometry. Is it supposed to be used
> for _distant_ interactions?

No; the name is misleding;
InteractingSphere2InteractingSphere4DistantSpheresContactGeometry
creates SpheresContacatGeometry; contrary to IS2IS4SCG however, it will
create SpheresContactGeometry even if penetrationDepth<=0.

[ I eventually want to replace IS2IS4DSCG by IS2IS4SCG with some flag
that will permit distant interactions. There is no reason for such code
duplication ]

> >if (penetrationDepth>0 || c->isReal)
>
> should be replaced by
>
> > if (penetrationDepth>0)
>
> as I suggested. And more, InteractionDetectionFactor should be removed
> from SpheresContactGeometry.

Both conclusions are drawn from false premise, hence are not true.

> About Interaction's flags: I think, isReal and isNew should be left
> unchanged, because their meaning is very clear.

isReal is not clear at all and I had to read sources (at all the places
where it is used) to get to know what it means. isReal for distant
contact is false, but the contact is not "unreal" nonetheless. (yes,
isNew is OK)

> I propose to add a flag "cycle" and anticipate its use as a _local_
> variable in any Engine. I think such a flag would be useful in any
> case. Its value it not supposed to be transfer from one Engine to
> other or through iterations. I have used "cycle" instead of isReal for
> mark stale contacts

Why not call it isStale then or something similar?

Again, I suggest moving this discussion to the wiki page
http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/Sanitizing_Contact_Logic so that we have some
starting point and can decide what and how will change.

Regards, V.