Re: (x,y,z) convention

Václav S(milauer said:     (by the date of Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:40:02 +0100)

> > Could we get the previous default QGL orientation back please (I guess
> > this is a question for Vaçlav)?
> > Everyone needs to rotate his view when he starts a simulation, it
> > seems. Yes, we have nice new buttons to make it fast, but still...
> > what is the point of changing axis convention after few years of
> > development?
> > Don't worry, this is the usual whining "Oh my god!! I've not work on
> > Yade for 2 months and I can't get it to work normally now!"
> > It will stop soon...
> It was Janek who changed that (we had a tough discussion on that in
> Aussois) claiming that as there is no overall convention for
> orientation, we will orient the scene agains the sense of gravity (if
> there is a GravityEngine) -- I thought this to be non-obvious and was
> opposing that. Glad that you speak up, Bruno, I am for democratically
> reverting that :-)

Hey, you are too quick for blaming that on me. You changed the
default GL view, which (arbitrarily ;) assumes currently that gravity is in Z
direction. And before it was in Y direction. I sort-of mitigated the
"complaint problem" due to your change by adding those XYZ buttons.
And by assuming that default view is directed depending on gravity
direction.

Bruno is complaining on what you have done. And he is complaining
because actually in triaxial tests there is no gravity. Would there
be gravity then nobody wouldn't notice that there's anything to complain.

You can comment out this "view downwards grvity" code, but Bruno is
asking you to change the default view, so that by default gravity is
along Y.

Another solution is to save somewhere the view position and load on
next time. Maybe. This way people will need to do this camera
rotating with mouse just once.

Using Y as downwards direction has only one reasoning: it works for
both 2D and 3D simulations. If you have 2D - then Y is downwards. Then
if you go into 3D then Y is still downwards.

Personally I have no preferences here, because I like those XYZ buttons
that I've added.