Re: incremental formulation normal force

On 28 April 2010 16:44, chiara modenese <c.modenese@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28 April 2010 16:19, chiara modenese <c.modenese@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> 2010/4/8 Václav Šmilauer <eudoxos@xxxxxxxx>
>>
>> > I need the incremental formulation for the normal force in the contact
>>> Using relative velocity (it will be much easier than for shear, since it
>>> is 1D) would be the simplest, it seems.
>>>
>>> Or if you want to go more precise, you could store previous normal
>>> deformation, then compute the current one (total formulation), divide by
>>> Δt to get increment and add it to previous incremental normal
>>> deformation... Perhaps too complicated...
>>>

>> Hi,
>> if I get the incremental displacement in the normal direction as
>>
>> dU(t+dt) = U(t+dt)-U(t)
>>
>> where U(t+dt) and U(t) are total formulation, it is fine or should I take
>> into account the rotation of the normal?
>> (btw, it is the incremental formulation that will permit me to calculate
>> the potential elastic energy for the non linear elastic Hertz formulation in
>> the normal direction..)
>>
>> thanks, Chiara
>>

> Suggestion (x Bruno). Why do not we add the incremental formulation for the
> normal direction (say as optional) in the FrictPhys_Basic law so that the
> potential energy can be computed directly inside the go functor instead of
> having an external loop as you did? Moreover as elastic energy is computed
> now, it would be fine for the normal direction but you are also adding the
> component due to the shear force without considering that sliding could
> occur (so in that case you cannot more compute E simply as Fs*us, you need
> the difference between the total energy and the plastic one). One more
> reason to compute the incremental formulation in the normal direction.

Sorry sorry, the potential energy is computed in the right way (in fact I
just realize now that if sliding occurs, the shear force would be simply
equal to the maximum one). Anyway with an incremental formulation we could
compute that energy into the go function, I think this is still possible.
cheers, Chiara