Re: periodic cell stress tensor

A choice left for the user is whether one takes the current contact
length (particle distance) or the "reference" contact length (r1+r2 for
ScGeom, refLength for Dem3DofGeom) as the particle distance. I don't
know if some has ever compared results from both; and it has to do with
the unfamous granular ratcheting as well.
I don't know about comparisons, but I'm sure rational thermodynamics will never point to "reference length". Current contact length (in fact branch vector OC) should be used. There is no problem of ratcheting since this is just post-processing, not entering contact laws.

On ratcheting, I just read a chapter of Mc Namara here : http://www.eyrolles.com/Accueil/Livre2/9782746229761/modelisation-numerique-discrete-des-materiaux-granulaires (english version coming soon). I couldn't be more confused, seriously... I don't understand equations, and he says what is supposed to prevent ratcheting (in my undertanding) is in fact creating it. Typos or something? I hope I can ask him directly, one day.

Bruno Chareyre
Associate Professor
ENSE³ - Grenoble INP
Lab. 3SR
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : +33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : +33 4 76 82 70 43