Re: [Branch ~yade-pkg/yade/git-trunk] Rev 3804: new simple contact law with normal viscose damping which allows to specify kn and ks/kn in Ip2

On 16/02/14 04:55, Klaus Thoeni wrote:
> Sorry for late reply, but here my thoughts. I think a separation at material
> level would be better, i.e. FrictMat inherits ViscElastMat which inherits
> something like  ViscElCapillarMat. I think it would make sense because not all
> visco-elastic materials have capillar forces. What do you think?

I think this is also what Anton had in mind. Base types should be free
of capillary things, which are very specific.

> In the case of CapillaryPhys none of the parameters is stored in FrictMat.
And it is good that way, isn't it? FrictMat has the contact parameters,
CapillaryPhys inherits them and add the capillary parameters.
It should be the same for ViscEl, as you suggest.

> There seams to be a bit of inconsistency. Same with kn and kt. Should the
> material have these parameters or the Ip2 functor? IMO, stiffness is related to
> a specific contact and should therefore be in the Ip2.
I don't get your point here. Ip2's are not supposed to have parameters
at all, they convert material data to interaction data (e.g. they
convert Material::Young to IPhys::kn).
I know many Ip2 still have a few physical parameters but it is only lazy
implementation, we should avoid that. Ip2_Frict and Ip2_CohFrict, for
instance have no parameters at all.