Re: Move utils for "grid and more" in separate file

On 08/12/15 07:30, Klaus Thoeni wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am about to push the pfacet code (as a Xmas present) but before I wanted to
> discuss the following:
>
> 1) The utils module is massive and I suggest that we move everything related
> to cylinder, grids and pfacets in a new file, e.g. gridpfacet_utils.py. Are you
> happy if I chance this?
Hi Klaus,
Excellent.
A question is if this new module will be imported by default at startup
(as utils is) or not.
I don't see a very general use of importing such a module automaticaly,
so I would go for the "or not".
Thus an elegant module name would be great, I would suggest just
"pfacet" (from yade import pfacet).

> 2) Something similar seems already to exist for the polyhedra. However, there
> are still some polyhedra functions in utils.py. Wouldn't it make sense to move
> them as well into polyhedra_utils.py? @Jan, what is the logic behind this?
It would make sense I guess.

> 3) @Bruno: Is the chainedCylinder going to die or are we still keeping it? The
> implementation of the contact law for the connection/chain seems not to be
> exactly the same as for gridConnection, as I was not able to reproduce the
> results with the same parameters. Nevertheless,  the concept is the same,
> right?
chainedCylinder will go/stay deprecated until the exemple scripts are
all changed to use the new classes.
Yes chainedCylinder is a particular case that can be produced by pFacets.
The differences you get are most likely because the preprocessing of Ip2
parameters in some python functions are different, but the core part is
the same.

Cheers