Re: Migrating to GitLab

On 1/7/19 1:12 PM, Jerome Duriez wrote:

I could see just one point having an additional "develop": in the case where eg yadedaily packages would be built from master only, and not from develop. Is this a plan ?

Daily builds would be based on the develop branch.

(by the way, with a tighter control on development, would we still need a distinction between "yade" and "yadedaily" packages ?..)

Yade is stable release, not updated very often, included in main debian/ubuntu repos. Yadedaily is updated  more than daily, after each change to the source code, not included in debian/ubuntu repos.
They are very different things and I think we need both.

Also, with "develop" and "master", I guess any proposal for code modification would have to be closely examined and validated twice :
- once to make it into "develop"
- and once, to make it from "develop" into "master"
?...
There is no reason to check the develop->master merge if everything in develop is already validated by regtests + human review.
Our github/master corresponds to "develop" more or less.
Merging develop into master in the new model would correspond to Anton calling for update and releasing 2018.b. More or less.

We probably need a liberal, truly unstable repo on the top of this, at least in a transitory phase, so that everyone can play with gitlab a bit and break everything with no limit. For instance to compare --no-ff, --only-ff, and other variants.