Re: help compiling

> Hello,
>
> I am a current user of discrete element code and would
> like to give yade a spin.

hello! very nice to see a new user :) Welcome.

> I run gentoo on amd64, installed boost 1.34 and
> libqglviewer 2.1.1 and use gcc 3.4.4.

re: boost 1.34 - you will have to make small change in ErrorTolerant to
make it compile. It's for 1.33, I hope that 1.34 isn't any worse, we
will see...

libqglviewer 2.1.1 and gcc 3.4.4 should work without any problems (they
were tested afaik).

> I got yade-all, unpacked and typed
>
> make compile_install PREFIX_DIR='/tmp/yade'
> INSTALL_DIR='usr'

one note about INSTALL_DIR and PREFIX_DIR - currently they are not fully
supported according to the standard as I know it in debian (and gentoo
should have sth. similar). And because of that we need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before lanunching yade executable. This will be fixed in
next release, and hopefully it's just a minor inconvenience. You can
move yade freely acrosss your filesystem directories, just make sure
that ~/.yade/preferences.xml contains correct paths inside.

> The compile went through some directories until it
> proceeded to yade-lib-opengl. Here it produced
> this error:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/andreas/tobesorted/yade-all-0.9.0.911/yade-libs/yade-lib-opengl/projects/kdevelop'
> cd yade-lib-opengl && make -f Makefile
> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/home/andreas/tobesorted/yade-all-0.9.0.911/yade-libs/yade-lib-opengl/projects/kdevelop/yade-lib-opengl'
> g++ -c -pipe -Wall -W -march=opteron -O2 -pipe -fPIC
> -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT
> -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/usr/qt/3/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I.
> -I/tmp/yade/usr/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -o
> FpsTracker.o FpsTracker.cpp
> In file included from FpsTracker.cpp:25:
> OpenGLWrapper.hpp:51: error: expected init-declarator
> before "void"
> OpenGLWrapper.hpp:51: error: expected `;' before
> "void"
> .. [many more similar errors following]
>
> I have the Nvidia gl.h, if this is important ?
>
> Could you provide any hints ?

OK, so we get to the problem :) I haven't seen this error yet on fedora
or debian. You are the first brave guy to try it on gentoo :)))

my first bet is that #define GLAPI somewhere in gl.h or glut.h or in
some file they include defines string unexpected by the compiler. Check to
what it is defined, and then see if simple removing of word GLAPI from
OpenGLWrapper will make things work.

There may be something similar with GLAPIENTRY.

I'm curious to what GLAPI is defined there?

re: architecture - Bruno is trying to run yade on debian amd64 too, no news
about his success or failure yet ;)