Re: boxstack - noncontact forces??

Vaclav SMILAUER said:     (by the date of Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:07:42 +0100)

> I tried for no particular reason to run the BoxStack simulation with
> default configuration. If I set the timestep to something sufficiently
> small, like 4e-4s, I can see that bricks in the two bottom rows move
> rather significantly _before_ the ball touches the wall - approximately
> when there is still a gap of about the ball radius. Intriguing.

this is normal. The simple spring law that bricks are using is
extremly simple. It is not stable. There is gravity and the bricks
touch each other. That's why they are unstable. With bigger damping
maybe it is possible to have a stable brick wall. This law doesn't
know that there are two flat surfaces that touch each other.

--
# Janek Kozicki