Re: Modifying the wiki?

Bruno Chareyre said:     (by the date of Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:23:42 +0100)

Hello Bruno

> 1/ to edit the table of content that is on the left hand side, and
> include a subsection called "Examples"
> in the section "User Guide". How can I do that, there is no [edit] link?

Click on the left menu "Editing wiki", it's on the bottom of the menu.
There you will see a section 'Configuring wiki site', click to edit
"Sidebar". See? The sidebar is that menu on the left. Do whatever you
want with it. To change "Physics behind" to something else involves
editing the *.css files otherwise won't display nicely (but will work).

> 2/ to create a new document (couldn't find how)...

Type in the URL address something like this:

http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/A new wiki article

remember to add it a correct category - just put anywhere in your new
wiki page this text:

[[Category:Some category]]

You can see ALL available categories on yade front page under "Browse
yade" on the right. Just pick one.

Or add a new cotagory! But then remember to make it a subcategory of some
already existing category in the same way as you make an article in a
category, or make it a subcategory of [[Category:Yade]]. For example
edit the page http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:User_guide it's a
subcategory of [[Category:Yade]], see?

Categorizing articles is the most important thing when writing new
articles. Otherwise things are getting lost easily.

> 3/ and link it in the TOC.

what is TOC ? If it's "Browse yade" on the right, then - it will
appear automatically if the article is in ANY category.
BTW, perhaps I should rename "Browse yade" into TOC ?

> More generally, I think we need a structured document, somewhere in the
> wiki, that would somewhat reproduce the structure of Yade sources. So
> that it is easy for the developper to decide where to type comments on
> his class, and easy for the user to find what he needs.  A doxygen
> generated section perhaps?

great idea!

> I faced the typical situation today : I typed comments in the source,
> was almost happy with them, but found no obvious way to link or copy
> them in the wiki.

I hope that now you know? :)

BTW, if you won't change "Physics behind" as already discussed a
month ago, I'll do it once I arrive to Grenoble on january.
This change involves changing category of all articles belonging to
this category.

see you soon :)

I have learned several new things about improving wiki site. I will
do them next month, I hope that site will get much better :)

--
Janek Kozicki