Re: The critical time step?

kan a écrit :
> Hey, guys,
>
> I have a problem to get the critical timestep, could you please give
> me hand?
> if I need to calculate the critical time step for each time steps, how
> can I calculate it?
> From papers, I found that equation is:
> critical_time_step=2*sqrt(mass/k),
>
> my questions are:
> 1. is the mass the particle mass?
Its the generalized mass. i.e. one mass for each degree of liberty :
actual mass for 3 translation axis, and inertia matrix for the 3
rotation axis. Its a bit difficult to uncouple rotational degrees of
liberty because corresponding "mass" is a matrix...
Cundall proposed to use diagonal terms as an approximation, its what I
did in GlobalStiffnessTimestepper.

> 2. k here is kn or ks or some other value else?

Again generalized stiffness : a matrix including translational and
rotational stiffnesses (taking into account all contacts on bodies). And
again I used the diagonal terms to associate a scalar stiffness to each
degree of liberty.

> 3. I need to calculate all the critical_time_step for each particle,
> and then use the mininum one, right?
yes

> and I hear that in the past, the critical_time_step need to calculated
> at each timestep, then why and how?
Contact created/deleted = stiffness changed.

> if I do it at the beginning and get the mininum critical_time_step,
> and then keep it as the critical time step for the overall simulation,
> will it work?
No, unless you set big security margin, which would mean a waste of time.

Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43