Re: The critical time step?

kan napsal(a):
> Hey, guys,
>
> I have a problem to get the critical timestep, could you please give
> me hand?
> if I need to calculate the critical time step for each time steps, how
> can I calculate it?
> From papers, I found that equation is:
> critical_time_step=2*sqrt(mass/k),
Bruno, how does this value compare to critical timestep calculated from
elastic wave propagation speed along the particle calculated for
cotinuum, i.e. , which is 2*particle diameter / sqrt(Young's modulus /
density)? I would assume it underestimates the timestep, but may have
the advantage that it has to be evaluated only once, since contact
stiffnesses are derived (for purely linear elastic contacts) from the
same values.

I use this formula for preliminary estimation of computation time for a
simulation.

Regards, Vaclav