Re: Capillary law files

Perfect Sailing wrote:

>Hi,everyone.
>In the  TriaxialTestWater.cpp there is a comment "this
>test will not work without data file for capillary
>law",and in CapillaryCohesiveLaw.cpp it's said the
>import files in the "../data",whose filename like
>M(r=...) .However i can't find the files in yade
>dirctionary.
>Is there any papers about the capillary law in yade? I
>don't know the parameters V,F,delta1 and delta2 stand
>for what and how the capillary were computed in
>CapillaryCohesiveLaw.cpp.
>Thank you!
>                                            zhanglin

Hi Zhanglin

In fact, capillary files (M(r=...)) are not yet implemented in Yade directory because  I am actually working on capillary effects modelling for my PhD thesis (currently, I can send them to whom is interested).

The capillary law is based on a resolution scheme of the Laplace Young equation which defines capillary water liquid bridges between 2 spherical bodies. You can see paragraph 2 from "Influence of liquid bridges on the mechanical behaviour of polydisperse granular materials" by Fabien Soulié, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 2006, (30): 213-228 for the resolution scheme. Instead of F. Soulié, I did not tried to find an analytical form for the capillary force: the force F, volume of water V and half-filling angles delta1 and delta2 for each grain-pair of radii R1 and R2 are computed from the capillary files, depending on the defined capillary pressure (the unique additionnal input parameter in the interface) and the R2/R1 ratio (denoted r in M(r=...)).

Few more description of my work can be found in the Annual report of the Discrete Element Group from our lab : http://geo.hmg.inpg.fr/frederic/Discrete_Element_Group_FVD.html

I hope this will be enough to clarify the CapillaryCohesiveLaw computations. If not, I will be pleased to teach you more.

Regards

    Luc

--

Luc SCHOLTES - Ph.D. student
INstitut Polytechnique de Grenoble

Laboratoire 3S-R (Soils, Solids, Structures, Risks)
Domaine Universitaire - BP 53 - 38041 GRENOBLE cedex 9 - FRANCE

luc.scholtes@xxxxxxxxxxx
tel: +33 (0)4.56.52.86.36