Relative Density

Hi All,
I want to know the Relative Density (Dr =((emax-e)/(emax-emin) ) issue in DEM.From my study,there are different proposal on Dr .One of the best suited proposal of them as follows:

Reference:
>> Salot et al."DEM modeling of frictional materials: Definition of the Relative density and application to granular soil mixtures"Annual Report 2006,Discrete Element Group for Hazard Mitigation,P.A1-A7.

>>Chareyre B. & Villard P., 2003, Discrete element modeling of curved geosynthetic anchorages with known macro-properties, Numerical Modeling in Micromechanics via Particle Methods, Proc. of the First International PFC Symposium, Gelsenkirchen, Germany,6/7 November 2002, Konietzky (ed), p. 197-203

My Question:
>>By radius expansion method particle radius increased until to desire mean pressure ...where Minimum density state obtained.
>>What about the REFD(Radius Expansion Friction Decrease) that was implemented for Maximum density?In REFD friction reaches to zero maintaining the desired mean pressure.When particle generated with high porosity and when REFD implemented---what are the difference?For more specific I want to know REFD and its Implementation.

Any co-operation will be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mohammad Nurul Islam
Mohammad Nurul Islam