Re: all yade users, please introduce yourself!

Václav Šmilauer a écrit :

Bruno: "The time gain with "parallel" option is still very low". What
speedups you get? For TriaxialTest(fast=True,numberOfGrains=10000), I
have 48 vs. 28 iter/sec by setting OMP_NUM_THREADS to 4 and 1
respectively. If you have some ideas for improvements, they will be very
welcome.

Oh!! I still have to try this. I was only looking at this yesterday : http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/Triaxial_Test_Parallel

Suggesting a max of 25% speedup. Has it change?

I had a few ideas, like merging geomEngineUnit and physEngineUnit (less loops and less sync), or at least don't dispatch interactions when i->physics exists . I tried that, it gives 3% speedup just moving if(!interaction->interactionPhysics) from the engine unit to the dispatcher. However, I saw you already merged geom+physics+contact law, so I gave up... Is this merged version in the current SVN? Btw, the scripts/test/triax-perf.py you refer to in this page in not in the trunk.

Other questions :
I don't see any parallel command in the triaxialTest or in ElasticContactLaw. How can it work? Do you still have those big cpu time for the collider with 50k spheres? I could have a few ideas for this.

Regarding paralelization, we are working on solid-fluid coupling and we will use a solver that support parallelization for solving large linear systems (an open source library called "taucs", used for sparse system in mathematica, matlab, comsol and various good commercial codes). I think it will be the good time to start using our multiproc server with paralel Yade (I admit I did not really use this server yet...).

Anton: "Good to have YADE deb-package in repositories.". The
infrastructure is there, https://launchpad.net/~yade-users/+archive/ppa
has (one) package, but given the speed how yade evolves and until
recently, you couldn't practically use it without writing c++ code, it
didn't make much sense to distribute binaries.
You can still run triaxial tests with various number of grains, friction, granulometry, compacity, etc. Not a negligeable thing as the triaxial test is the first simulation for more than 50% of the dem users I think.

Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Grenoble INP
Laboratoire 3SR - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43