Re: R: Re: R: Re: Contact detection

Hi Chiara,

I give you below some references, I never spent time to read them, but I think you can find usefull information:

** General about algorithmic:
Knut, D.E. 1973 The art of computer programming, chap. 3, Sorting and Searching. Reading Mass, USA: Addison Wesley.

** General about algorithmic applied to DEM:
O'Connor, R. M. 1996 A distributed discrete element modeling environment - algorithms, implementation and applications. PhD Thesis, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

** Grid subdivision:
Allen, M.P. & Tildesley, D.J. 1987 computer simulations of liquids.

** Quicksort or Heapsort
see the reference above: O'Connor 1996.

If you want a code where you can make comparisons between detection by grid or detection from a quicksort there is SDEC (I think I made a mistake in my previous mail: quicksort is implemented in SDEC (with grid detection) and not the method "check everything with everything"). I imagine that there are other codes but I don't know them. The problem with SDEC is that you need Visual C++ to compile it (I never tried with another compiler so I don't know if it works, and I don't know also if it works with the new versions of Visual C++). If you want to try SDEC you need to ask the authorization to Frederic Donzé (Frederic.Donze at hmg.inpg.fr) but it should not be a problem.

  Good luck,

 Luc

chiara.modenese@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Hi Luc,

I will deal with a dynamic problem and the global geometry is expected to change a lot during the simulation. Could you suggest me some papers where I can find an example in which the SPA was used? Or a reference where it is said that this contact detection method is fast or that it is fast according to a specific kind of problem? Do you know other DEM softwares that are using the SAP?

Many thanks,

Chiara