R: Re: Compaction_phase/Triax

I didn't want to say that I can control porosity via stress, but that they are
not independent (am I wrong anyway?).
So, having a specific particle size
distribution, the contact stiffnesses, the angle of friction, is it possible to
get a specific value of porosity for the specimen? How can I do it with Yade?

Sorry if I continue on this point, but I am a little bit confused on it.

Thank
you very much,

Chiara

chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Data: 08/12/2009 14.57
>A: <yade-users@lists.launchpad.
net>
>Ogg: Re: [Yade-users] Compaction_phase/Triax
>

>> I got that
>> the
final stage is achieved according to the sigmaIsoCompation (isotropic

stress) value I choose. But in this case I cannot control the value of
porosity
>> (I mean, the porosity and the isotropic stress are not
independent, but here I
>> choose to get a specific value of isotropic stress
that will correspond to a
>> certain porosity).
>No. This is a common mistake.
You cannot control porosity via stress.
>Well... you can, but it is not some
realistic mechanics.
>In reality, when you want to densify a sand, you don't
apply a static
>stress on it, you do something else (vibrations, height of

>pluviation,...). The "elastic" change of porosity is very small compared
the range of possible porosities.
>Actually, the obtained porosity is a
function of contact friction and
>particles sizes distribution.
>
>>  My
question is: is it possible, with the second method
>> (expansion method), to
choose a final target porosity? In my case I would like
>> to run the triaxial
test starting with a certain value of porosity.

>No. The two methods
are exactly the same on this point. You impose a
>stress, which has little -
if any - influence on the final porosity.

>> Then I see
>> that there is
another flag called isotropicCompaction. Well, could you explain
>> how it
works? Since, actually it seems not working when I try to use it.

>Somebody else introduced this flag. I don't remember why, sorry. If you

>don't activate it, you will have isotropic compression anyway.
>
>Bruno

>> Thanks a lot,
>>

>> Chiara

>--

>Chareyre Bruno
>Maître de Conférences
>
>Grenoble INP

>Laboratoire 3SR - bureau E145
>BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
>Tél :
33 4 56 52 86 21