Re: [yade-users] uniaxial test on cubic sample

> It seems ok, however, there is probably an issue concerning some size
> ratio/boundary conditions since the resulting compressive strength
> appears different when applying uniaxial tests on cubic or
> parallelepiped samples (with same micromechanical properties of
> course). It is probaly due to the conditions imposed on boundary
> elements (blocked displacements and rotations in my case) in regards
> to the prescribed loading?

I would be careful with blocking rotations; what does it correspond to
physically?

It is quite normal to have different strengths depending on cuboid
ratio. Cube sample is typically too short to give adequate results in
tension, though, as if there is cone that is pushed to sides, then
depending on its andle, cube is probably not long enough. (I was using
1:1:2 for instance.)

For what I know about concrete, "compressive strength" on cylinders is
different from one on cuboids; if you find some data about concrete, it
is measured on standard specimens (IIRC 30cm length, 15cm diameter).

In another words, compressive stregth is not (at least much less than
tensile strength) "objective" WRT simulation setup; so you have to bind
them together by defining what configuration you use and use that one
consistently.

HTH, vaclav