Re: Are our systems conservatives?

On 7 May 2010 13:31, Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Ok, can I change something in Shop for the dt/2 shift or should I save
>> velocities and accelerations and then interpolate?
>>

> You can change in shop.

I changed in shop the kinetic as

ret+=.5*(b->state->mass*(b->state->vel+b->state->accel*dt/2).SquaredLength()+(b->state->angVel+b->state->angAccel*dt/2).Dot(diagMult(b->state->inertia,(b->state->angVel+b->state->angAccel*dt/2))));

I tried the sample example with the two balls and the time step estimated by
PWave. I attach the figure.
Now I suppose that if the kinetic energy is computed correctly (is it?) the
problem relies on the elastic energy. You said yourself that the total
energy is "approximately" constant. Is this approximation due to the
numerical scheme, is not it? If so the time step plays a role also on the
total energy, no?