Re: [Question #159902]: Reinforced Concrete Beam

Chareyre proposed the following answer:
Hi Arthur

Out of the box, Yade is not capable of handling all possible
combinations of shapes and physics present in the code.
I think it will never happen, it would require that somebody
implementing a new shape - say ellipsoid - is supposed to implement
their interaction with all pre-existing shapes. It would lead to
exponential growth of code that no-one can sustain.
So, if you want to simulate something new, you have to implement some
missing functors sometimes. You give examples here.

> I just don't understand what do I need to do. I need to create another Law2 for CylScGeom, right? But when I check to the different interactions law there is only one "Law2_CylScGeom_FrictPhys _CundallStrack" which is not for me. I would need a "Law2_CylScGeom_CpmPhys_Cpm". Does it mean that if I want to create a cylinder, the only choice is a FrictMat?
Yes and no. Chained cylinders should be CohFrictMat if you want them to
simulate beam-like behaviour (see e.g.
scripts/test/chained-cylinder-spring.py).
But cylinder-sphere contacts will be only frictional (see
chained-cylinder-roots.py).
François Kneib is already working on cohesive sphere-cylinder at the
moment. I hope he can release something functional soon. If he doesn't,
then you will have to implement something on your side.
> Do you know what is the difference between a ChainedCylinder and a
> Cylinder, I mean do I really need a chained one?

You really need chained cylinders, else it is not a beam, it's a
granular material where grains are cylinder-shaped.
And in facts, there are no functors at all for Cylinders a.t.m. It is
just a class between Sphere and chCylinder in the inheritance, it can't
be used in simulations (until somebody implement functors for standalone
cylinders).

Bruno