[Question #181411]: cylinder larger than half of the periodic cell

I'm trying to model a cylinder lying on a sand sample.  The sample has periodic boundaries only on the planes perpendicular to the cylinder axis.

I've created a bigger periodic cell (with a very small thickness), and then, to contain the sand, 3 walls (bottom, right, and left) using the facet command. Each wall contains several facets, to overcome the "Body larger than half of the size" issues with the periodic boundaries.

My problem is now with the cylinder (generated as chainedCylinder).  It's long as the thickness of the periodic cell, and it has the diameter larger than half of the size of the periodic cell.
I can divide the length of one cylinder in shorter cylinders, but I wouldn't want to divide the circumference in smaller arcs or segments to overcome the "Body larger than half of the size" issues.

Can I just comment those lines in InsertionSortCollider.cpp (see below) who give that error?  The cylinder will only move horizontally and vertically, without any rotations (I'll prevent them).
So I guess if I'm using a whole single cylinder and commenting those lines, the cylinder will be reproduced in the opposite side, but exactly where the other side of the cylinder is.
These are the lines that I've commented.  I'm wondering if commenting them will cause any problems.

//        if(unlikely((pmn1!=pmx1) || (pmn2!=pmx2))){
//            Real span=(pmn1!=pmx1?mx1-mn1:mx2-mn2); if(span<0) span=dim-span;
//            LOG_FATAL("Body #"<<(pmn1!=pmx1?id1:id2)<<" spans over half of the cell size "<<dim<<" (axis="<<axis<<", min="<<(pmn1!=pmx1?mn1:mn2)<<", max="<<(pmn1!=pmx1?mx1:mx2)<<", span="<<span<<")");
//            throw runtime_error(__FILE__ ": Body larger than half of the cell size encountered.");

Thanks for any suggestions
Giulia