Re: [Question #181411]: cylinder larger than half of the periodic cell

Chareyre proposed the following answer:
This what should happen normally:
- for normal bodies, the collider is trying to find if there is a combination of shifts so that two bodies can interact
- if you create a cylinder longer than the period, then it will seen as not-periodic
- it will not be shifted (except visually if "display ghost" = True) and another body will always interact with it according to its absolute position in space
- it will not interact with itself

For instance, I made tests with sphere on inclined plane 10 times larger than period. The sphere was rolling on the plane, passing in the period cyclically. Then after it rolled on 10 period, it fells down because it reached the end of the plane.
It is a bit strange to imagine a non-periodic body in periodic space I agree, but it is in fact just an easy way to simulate an infinite body. That is why you want a very long cylinder, so that particles will never reach the ends of it.
We may find a better way so that any body larger than period is really seen as infinite, but it is not done yet (and a bit more difficult).

Maybe send a script to show unexpected behavior if it doesn't work as
expected.