Re: [Question #186108]: about the parallel calculation in 32 cores cluster

Anton Gladky proposed the following answer:
Hi Eugen,

Yade works definitely better on many-core systems. But it will not work
on "real" cluster (where nodes are connected through the network), in this
case you should have a look at LIGGGHTS or ESyS-Particle, which are
MPI-oriented by design.

Moreover, I think Yade should scale better on many-core systems, than
MPI-based code. Because MPI-programs usually divide the simulation
"scene" on equal parts, and each part is calculated by the same node.
Some of such parts can be completely empty, some of them can be
overfulled, so there always happens "dis-balance". Yade divides all active
interactions relatively equally between cores.

Back to hardware, it depends on how many particles you want to simulate,
how many of them will be in contact (dense or sparse packing), type of
the simulation (dynamic or quasi-static) and how much money you have.

The speed of calculation is highly depends on CPU-frequency and
RAM-frequency. More particles and contacts lead to higher RAM-usage.

Cheers,

Anton