Re: [Question #235264]: Use of JCFpmPhys.dilation ?

Luc Scholtès proposed the following answer:
Hi Jerome,

Good to hear from you.

You are right, I have not used dilation in any modelling but you have to
note that it is just a variable that does not enter in any computations,
unlike dilationAngle. I put it there because I thought it could be
interesting to quantify dilation in joints and, actually, after double
checking, I am pretty sure it is not computed the right way (see line
112 of the cpp file). Thanks for pointing out. I will have a look.

Coming back to dilationAngle, it has been used in computations (see
figure 8 in this paper:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1365160912000391) and,
it is working when the smoothJoint contact logic is turned on.
Implementation is also on line 112 of the cpp file and has been
verified. There could be a discussion on the way it is implemented and I
am keen for remarks.

To sum up:

- Yes, a parameter is currently present and functional in the source code to take into account dilatancy in joints, it is dilationAngle.
- dilation is a variable that should record the amount of dilatancy in the joint but needs to be corrected.

Hope it helps

Luc