[Important] Call for testing of new daily-packages

Dear Yade users and developers,

we are providing pre-built packages for several years, using Launchpad's
PPA build-infrastructure. It works fine in most cases (thanks to
Canonical!), but we usually have problems due to Yade's high RAM
consumption during compilation step. That is why some daily-builds are
sometimes outdated.

With the new GCC-4.8 the situation became even more difficult. We are
not able to provide packages for amd64-archs (the most popular one)
because of constant build failures on build-servers. We cannot influence
or choose the server for building, so we can just try one more time and
wait for accidentally available build-server with enough amount of RAM.

That is why we are trying to migrate the package build infrastructure to
our local resources with the kind help of 3SR Laboratory in Grenoble
(thanks a lot, guys!), where currently hosted yade-dem.org website, wiki
and buildbot.

We do reaaly need the help in testing of new daily-packages, which are
uploaded already here [1]. To do it, you need to add this repository to
your /etc/apt/sources.list, add a PGP-key AA915EEB as a trusted (we will
sign all packages, using this key) and install yadedaily (yes, for
technical reasons it will be called yadedaily instead of yade-daily as
before).

The following commands will do it for you:

  sudo bash -c 'echo "deb http://www.yade-dem.org/packages/ precise/" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list'
  wget -O - http://www.yade-dem.org/packages/yadedev_pub.gpg | sudo
apt-key add -
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install yadedaily

If you have another distribution, not Ubuntu Precise, be sure to use the
correct name in the first line.

After that you can normally start Yade using "yadedaily" or
"yadedaily-batch" command.

The version numbering has also changed and became more obvious as
before. The current one is "1.05.0-28-g5e71fa5~precise-1". It means:

  1.05.0 - the last stable version
  28 - how many commits after stable release
  g5e71fa5 - hash of commit, which was built
  precise - this package is built for Ubuntu Precise
  1 - "technical" version of Debian package

One more positive side of this migration is the folowing. We can now
build packages not only for Ubuntu, but for Debian also. Now the
following packages are available:

  Ubuntu 12.04 Precise (without LinSolv support)
  Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy
  Debian Unstable
  Debian Jessie (Debian Testing)
  Debian Wheezy (some build failures, will be resolved)

Please, test the package and give a feedback.

If you do not need yadedaily-package any more, just remove the
corresponding line in /etc/apt/sources.list. To remove our key from
keyring, execute the following commands:

  sudo apt-key remove AA915EEB
  sudo apt-get purge yadedaily

Gir-repository for packaging stuff is available on GitHub [1]. It should
hopefully allow us to easily maintain versions for different
Distribution, using powerful git-merge strategy. Each branch corresponds
to one distribution e.g. precise, jessie etc.

The script for building all of this stuff is here [2[. Ut uses pbuilder
to build packages, so all packages are building in a clean environment.

For all questions/problems/wishes, please, answer this email. No need to
file a bug as this packaging infrastructure is in testing mode now.

[1] http://www.yade-dem.org/packages/
[2] https://github.com/yade/yadedaily
[3] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/scripts/ppa/createtar.py

Best regards,