Re: [Question #271763]: Using expanding method to reach specific porosity doesn't work properly!

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Hi,

As for me, the ratio between confining pressure and particle stiffness mainly relates to the overlap between particles. Playing with it may indeed modify the porosity output, but because of biaised computations I'd say.
Indeed with "soft" particles (low stiffness / pressure ratio), the overall volume may shrink due to increasing overlaps, whereas the solid volume is constant (the sum of the spheres volume) => hence low porosity values as given by Yade.

However, this is kind of non-sense in my opinion because this overlap
volumes are non physical, and not taken into account in the porosity
Yade formula. Then you count twice the same solid volumes...

In the end, it is usually rather the friction angle that controls the porosity during sample preparation. As this belongs to the Yade questions greatest hits, you should hopefully find an answer in previous questions, e.g. https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/270818

Jerome