Re: [Question #280376]: overlap with no force, pollygon collision, membrane

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Hi,

1-1 A precise comparison of contact laws is a difficult task (furthermore often ending as polemic), so no I do not want to mean that the JCF model is more suited than Cpm to model an elastic beam.
In particular, none of theses models has been specifically designed for such task. So both would probably do the trick.
Not mentionning the CohFrictMat - Law2_ScGeom6D_CohFrictPhys_CohesionMoment model..

Anyway, on the JCF side, there is no example script for such elastic
beam use  (you have other examples in
examples/jointedCohesiveFrictionalPM involving rock joints)

1-2 Your idea here is not completely clear to me. You want to simulate a
deformable potato using distant particles ? Then, your potato would
include holes ?

Anyway, introducing cohesion for distant particles with the JCFpm obeys the logic presented here:
https://yade-dem.org/doc/user.html#creating-interactions
If you wanna use the JCFpm, just replace in the example there the Cpm Law2 and Ip2 with the JCFpm Law2 and Ip2. Everything else is strictly the same

Applying cohesion to distant particles, associating zero force to the
distant configuration, is also possible with the "CohesionMoment" model
(quoted above) using the "unp" method discussed in your two links
[1]-[2]

I do not know if such distant bond (with zero initial force) is possible
with the CpmMat

1-3 If I copy paste in "ex.py" the example I wrote there, and run this "ex.py" with my yade version (and nothing else), everything goes smoothly here. I do not get such error as you, and end up with the expected plots showing some oscillation..
If it is not the case on your side, can you provide more details ? E.g. are you sure there is no previous message ? (It would make sense putting it as comments in that initial question, rather than here)