Re: [Question #688439]: effect of rolling stiffness on peak friction angle of sample

Luc Sibille proposed the following answer:

> But my problem is about the amount of peak friction angle before considering rolling stiffness (I mean without considering CohesionMomment)  and after that. when I use just FrictPhys_CundallStrack as  the contact law, with the Inter-Particle friction angle of 30 degree, I can't get peak friction angle of experimental data  that is about 40 degree.
This is a classical result: with spherical particles and without rolling
resistance, internal peak friction angle relatively high (typically 40
deg) cannot be reproduced.
> Because of this problem, I tried to model a sample with more stiffness until getting more peak friction angle. After using CohesionMoment and setting alpaKr (for example alphaKr=0.5 or 1), I couldn't see any changes.
Again, stiffnesses, as normal, tangential or rolling stiffnesses, if
their are chosen sufficient high should not affect the failure
properties as the peak friction angle. So it may be normal that peak
friction angle is not affected by such stiffnesses. Then peak friction
angle is more strongly affected by the contact friction angle and
plastic rolling moment coefficient (or rolling friction coefficient)
etaRoll (and not alphaKr).

Besides, be sure that the rolling resistance is activated. It is not
because you use Law2_ScGeom6D_CohFrictPhys_CohesionMoment that rolling
resistance is necessarily activated: rolling resistance can be enable or
disable depending on some arguments in
Law2_ScGeom6D_CohFrictPhys_CohesionMoment and/or CohFrictMat

Luc

--
Luc Sibille
Université Grenoble Alpes / IUT1 de Grenoble

Tel lab.: +33 (0)4 76 82 63 48
Tel IUT: +33 (0)4 76 82 53 36