Re: [Question #691021]: en averaging for Law2_ScGeom_ViscElPhys_Basic, bug or incorrect documentation?

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
> It looks to me like the code actually does en = (en1+en2)/2
>For example, if I test two materials...

Your empirical method seems to be confirmed by the source code ;) [1]

>The behavior in the documentation does not make physical sense to me.
>I looked around to see if I could find any articles of someone suggesting one averaging method or the other, but I could not find any.

I think I agree with your rationale but as I mentioned before, I am not
up to date on that literature. The source code does reference an article
"Pournin2001"[2]. However, I skimmed that article and it only defines
kn, cn, kt, ct, while it doesn't seem to  explicitly discuss the en for
a contact (or maybe you have a bit more time to read deeper into it?).

Another, option is to email directly the original author, Sergei
Dorofeenko <sega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, to confirm the suspected
documentation mistake.

[1]https://gitlab.com/yade-
dev/trunk/-/blob/master/pkg/dem/ViscoelasticPM.cpp#L219

[2]L. Pournin, Th. M. Liebling, A. Mocellin (2001), Molecular-dynamics
force models for better control of energy dissipation in numerical
simulations of dense granular media. Phys. Rev. E (65), pages 011302.
DOI 10.1103/PhysRevE.65.011302