Re: [Question #694837]: How to increase the fill factor?

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
>I think I did not understand the part for avoiding spheres
intersection.

The contact force estimation in Yade is based on the "intersection" of
spheres. If they do not intersect, there are no forces. Jerome says if
having no "intersection" is imperative to your problem then Yade (and
DEM) is generally not the right tool.

"Intersection" is probably the incorrect way to think about the model.
Frict_mat is just an elastic deformation model. So if two spheres are
"intersecting" they are actually just "deforming" one another and
generating forces as a function of the deformation magnitude. Elastic
means that the deformation is fully recoverable in the event that the
spheres move away from one another.

You can reduce the deformation magnitude by increasing particle
stiffness or "youngs modulus." But there will still be a small
deformation if you are applying gravity and if the particles are relying
on one another to maintain a structure.

Try Jerome's suggestion of reducing the friction angle during gravity
settling.