Re: [Question #695226]: RungeKuttaCashKarp54Integrator with gridConnections is causing errors

Rohit John posted a new comment:
Dear Bruno,

>Last one maybe: in a working case (small damping), did you find
consistency _at the structural scale_ in terms of damping the
oscillations? It could be that there is a mismatch between what you
input at the interactions scale and what you expect in terms of damping
at the structural scale?

- I cannot say this with certainity because I did not find any literature with data that I can use to verify me results. But in the structural case I did find that the motion is damped. For example, in one simulation I had attached at weight to the tip of a cantilever (a forceEngine at the particle at the end) and let it reach equilibrium after deformation. Then the weight was released (forceEngine dead = True), the oscillations were similar to what we find in a damped oscillator.
The mismatch that you mentions is a bit unclear. Could you please elaborate or maybe give an example?

> I would say the bending viscosity of the interactions should be a
multiple of ~N/L, do we agree on that?

- Could you please define N and L.  Am I wrong to assume N is the number
of gridNodes and L is the length of the cantilever? My first thought is
that damping should be a material property so it should be constant.
However, it could also depend on the shape of the cantilever, like the
area moment of inertia perhaps. It is difficult to find good literature
on damping in beams. Or I might looking in the wrong place or the wrong
thing.

Kind regards,
Rohit K. John