Re: [Question #695558]: Dynamics of pfacet object does not appear to be correct

Klaus Thoeni posted a new comment:
Yes, most likely the instability comes from numerical rounding errors
and the error made by the integration of the equation of motion.

Now, you are right. Newton damping is artificial but from my experience
a very low value already helps and the dynamic behaviour might not be so
wrong after all , unless you are interested of an accurate time scale.
Alternatively, you could use viscous or hysteresis damping (or
coefficients of restitution). We have the relevant contact models but
not sure if they will work with grids and pFacets.

Klaus