Re: [Question #702097]: measuring incorrect lateral strain with concrete/triax.py

> I need to apply axial load while applying transverse stress.

It can be done in several ways, also experimentally.
E.g. you can increase axial load and transverse load somehow together.
Or you can just apply transverse load and then axial load.

In static case, applying transverse strain would be instantaneous.
But in dynamic case, it takes some time to be applied and it is up to you if it is ok w.r.t. axial load or not.

> According to your suggestion, the second method, simple moving strain
value, can be used, right?

yes

> firstly, it develops in the negative direction (due to the compression
of transverse stress)

yes

> and then it starts to develop in the positive direction

yes, because of Poisson's effect

> How should I adjust the lateral strain value (e.g. peak lateral
strain?)

Strain is some measure of position w.r.t. reference frame.
Reference frame can be defined arbitrarily.
E.g. unloaded sample or the sample with applied confinement stress.

Therefore you can just take the minimum strain value and say that that
point should be zero (should be the reference), and simply add the
minimum value to the whole curve, just "shift it vertically".

For this method the minimum transverse strain should be reached at
negligible axial strain, otherwise you miss some interplay of axial-
transverse effects.

**Personally**, I would use the initial sample as the reference, as the
negative transverse strain is intrinsic effect of transverse compaction,
but as discussed above, other approaches are possible.

Cheers