Re: [Question #706187]: Servo controller torque and force engine

Nima Goudarzi is still having a problem:
Hi Jan,
Thanks for the detail. Indeed, in my problem, linear velocity and angular velocity are the target. I was able to implement the servoController for a simple sphere rolling over a polyhedra ground. The steady state reaches and my target linear velocity, angular velocity, and slip ratio are secured. No adjustments for the rotation center was required. However, the PID gain parameters need to be calibrated.

I, then,  tried to repeat the same scenario for a facet wheel imported
as a .stl. The facets were clumped and I assign them an initial mass and
inertia. My wheel is a rover wheel with a cylindrical shape with a
radius of 0.15m rolling about y-direction (plane outward) and a width of
0.1m. I have issues for the moment of inertia of the clumped wheel.

During the settlement of the wheel on the terrain under the gravity, the
wheel twists about x and z axes and constraining DOFs doesn't help at
all. What could be the reason?

because of this, the rolling of the wheel is not conducted
appropriately.

I have also calculated the moment of inertia manually and assigned it to
the clumped wheel but the issue of twisting persist.

Is there an approach to accurately calculate the moment of inertia for a
clump of facets regarding that facets do not have volume.

Your comments are highly appreciated.

Nima