Re: [Question #706640]: How to get a volume of a clump using makeClumpCloud?

> I'll use real MWE on future posts. :)

why not already this post?

> what would I need to call to get the volume of that clump?

It depends on the definition of "volume of that clump".
Just sum of component volume?
For overlapping components, their union?
"Convex hull " of the components?
... ?

So first you need to do is your definition of clump volume.

> I didn't realize Yade did not auto adjust the mass and volume for
overlapping clumps.

it "auto adjust" mass.

Volume is tricky and difficult (see above, mere definition is
ambiguous), left for the user if needed (i.e. it is not computed at
all).

> With these artificially inflated values (e.g., mass and volume), I
fear the DEM model could be losing the real physics behind the real
physical system (i.e., lab experiments).

Yade computes what it is given.
If you give Yade "inflated values", then it simply computes with those values.

> Or, however, since density is preserved, inflated values for mass and
volume should have little impact on maintaining the real physics behind
the real physical system?

The impact might be from none to significant, depending on actual situation.
See below for a solution if you are afraid / the impact is actually significant.

====

Clump creation does some computation automatically.
However, you can manually set mass and/or inertia of the final clump independently of the original components and their properties.
You can also "pre-adjust" mass of individual components such that the resulting auto-computed mass and inertia are what you expect.
(E.g. you know the final mass should be XY, you set mass of components such that their sum is XY)

Cheers