Re: Francesco's work on bug 127585

On 12/06/2011 09:19 AM, Graham Binns wrote:
Hi folks,

Francesco has been working on bug 127585 today, and I've been
answering his questions and pointing him in the right directions.
(Note that I picked this bug for him to start with because a) it's
relatively simple and b) a lot of the really obviously easy stuff is
either fixed or part of some part of Launchpad that I don't have a
huge knowledge of. Bugs seemed a good place to start).

So far, Francesco has:

  - Added a new formatter, link_with_displayname, to
    lp.app.browser.tales.PillarFormatterAPI
  - Updated the relevant template to use the
    new formatter.

Next, he needs to:

  - Refactor the new formatter so that a large chunk
    of it isn't C&P'd from PillarFormatterAPI.link.
  - Add a test for the formatter (I haven't been able
    to find direct tests for the formatters but I haven't
    had time to look properly).
  - Add a pagetest / story for the new formatter to
    lp.bugs.stories.bug-also-affects.xx-bug-also-affects

And then of course there's the usual review / ec2 dance.
Thank you Graham.

I intended to help Francesco and started some searches for the formatter tests but then got in a serious argument with autorandr, and then had to take Karyn to the doctor.

I agree with you that a bit of refactoring to prevent code duplication would be in order. Francesco also made the point that dict-based string substitution might look nicer. I have a vague idea that these would be two great tastes that taste great together.

I spent at least 15 minutes looking for unit tests. That neither of us can find them is a bit disturbing.

Francesco raised his concern about not being able to find how the code interconnected. I said something to the effect of "welcome to Zope 3" but then tried to be more helpful. :-) My tools are greps, tags, and knowing how to read zcml. I wish we had the apidoc tool, but we don't. Does anyone else have any advice for him?

Francesco, do you know if PQM is set up for you?

Thanks all

Gary