Re: Discover Getting Thing Gnome and Zim, potential for collaboration

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just discovered a nifty new python-gtk app that enables GTD usage:
> Getting Thing Gnome.
> http://gtg.fritalk.com/
> GTG would benefit from Zim's wiki like text input in task description (and
> support for multiple cancel input for example).
>
> Or Zim could inherit a better task manager than what's currently in Zim.

My own two cents:

I think it's worth it for the members of both projects to check out
the other, but my personal preference as a user is to keep both
projects focused on what they do best. If Zim accumulates
sophisticated task management features, this will eventually dilute
its utility as a text database, diary, and outliner. Likewise (I say
this without any experience) GTG might get diluted if it tries to get
too rich-texty and linky.

If you need complicated wiki-like features and you need well designed
GTD workflow, perhaps the best solution is to use plugins to provide a
clean transport path from one database to the other. For example, you
could have a special INBOX page in Zim that is automatically pushed
into the GTD INBOX view and removed from Zim, and any embedded
hyperlinks are rewritten in transit so that clicking the link in GTD
opens the appropriate page in Zim.